The General Field represents the overarching area associated with your tentative research questions. This page and the related Admin updates will guide you through the process of identifying your General Field of interest and identifying literature associated with your General Field. This seminar will culminate in a literature review that you will then submit for your General Field Qualifying Examination.
Assignments and Examination
- Attend the General Field Onboarding Workshop. Check the Happening Now page for upcoming dates.
- Ensure that you have already completed the Pre-EDS requirements
- Maintain your entry on the Google Tracker
- You can begin working on the General Field Updates (see below) before you are formally registered. You do not need to wait until the first day of the semester.
- Complete the Seminar Registration Request Form, which is required before you can register
- Register once you receive the confirmation email with the CRN number
- Complete the latest iteration of the EDS Survey
- Complete the Community Updates
- Submit your Literature Review
- You should have already completed the Admin Updates with a prefix of 0 before starting the General Field Research Seminar
- You should complete all admin updates PRIOR to writing your Literature Review, but you should be gathering literature throughout the process
Admin Updates with a prefix of 1
Follow the prompts in each admin update with a prefix of 1
- 1.0 General Field Research Seminar
- 1.1 Your General Field and Planning your Search of the Literature
- 1.2 General vs. Special Field Topics
- 1.3 Your Personal Annotated Bibliography
- 1.4 The Genre of Review
- 1.5 Scholarly Writing Sample
- 1.6 The 5-Chapter Traditional Dissertation Model
- 1.7 Part 1: The General Field Literature Review – Overall Description
- 1.7 Part 2: The General Field Literature Review – Content and Specific Instructions, including another writing sample
- 1.8 The Streamlined Literature Review
Individual Updates and Peer Updates
- Make your own Updates based on the prompts of the Admin Updates
- Comment on at least 3 other peers’ updates with the focus on helping your peers improve their work
Write a Literature Review, as outlined in the admin updates referred to above.
- Your General Field Literature Review should be a deep examination of your general field of interest. It should demonstrate that you have a wide understanding of the general field. It should address the theories, debates, challenges, findings, etc. as reported by the literature. It should not be a summary of what you know, think, or conclude.
- Be sure to follow the Literature Review Guidance and tips outlined in our General Field presentation, including organizing your work according to the Graduate College dissertation format.
- Refer to the Work Submission and Review Process webpage for specific submission and review details and instructions
- You earn a grade for the seminar once your work has been approved for peer review.
- Earning a grade for the seminar is not the same as passing your examination. See below for examination details.
- General Field Onboarding Workshop presentation slides (linked above as well)
- Work Submission and Review Process
The work that will be assessed by your committee members for the examination will be the final peer reviewed work of that seminar, after you have completed necessary revisions based on peer review and then advisor feedback. Once you have completed the final deliverables of a particular course, complete the College of Education’s Qualifying Exam Information form indicating your desired exam(s).
Key Exam-Dissertation Sequence Resources