Refer to the College of Education Forms page and the Graduate College Forms page for a comprehensive list of forms. The following is a short list of the most common forms. Some forms are in an electronic system that will require you to log in with your Net ID while others are a PDF. See also: College of Education Graduate Student Handbook
- LDL Student Online Program Plan: Create this as a new student and maintain it throughout your degree program
- Apply course credit towards your degree that was earned prior to starting your degree program: If you began your coursework prior to officially beginning your program, such as a non-degree seeking student, a Graduate Certificate, or the Instructional Design MasterTrack Certificate through Coursera, fill out a Graduate Student Petition to have that coursework applied towards your degree. Note that transfer credit from other institutions or courses completed towards another UIUC degree are not applicable.
- Late Add or Drop: Dr. Francis will need to sign your form before you can submit it to Grad Services
- Withdraw from courses for the entire term: University of Illinois Course Withdrawal/Cancellation Form
- You are not able to fully un-register for courses on your own, even if it is before the drop deadline
- You must also fill out a Graduate Student Petition form
- Independent Study (EPOL 595) Contract: You must first speak with Dr. Francis before filling out an IS contract. Each IS course can be for 1 to 4 credits. You are allowed up to a total of 12 IS credits towards your doctoral degree.
- Leave of Absence (LOA): If you do not register in Spring or Fall, fill out a Leave of Absence. It is not necessary during Summer. After two total semesters (consecutive or non consecutive) of LOA, you’ll need to request a sponsorship in order to maintain your Net ID and related access. Email the Dissertation Advisor to request a sponsorship.
- In Absentia (on-campus coded students only who are registered, but over 50 miles away from campus): Complete this PDF with advisor or co-advisor signature and department signatures + the Secure Drop Off link: https://app.grad.illinois.edu/documentupload/index.cfm
- Re-Entry if you have not been enrolled for awhile: Go to https://choose.illinois.edu/apply/?sr=be71fa9f-8b37-44bf-9029-121abed2596c and select “Start New Application“, then select “Graduate Student Petition” from the drop-down menu (near the bottom).
Program, Degree, or Advisor Change
If you need to switch from the online to on-campus program or vice versa, fill out the Graduate Student Petition form and indicate a change of curriculum. Note that classes are still all online except for some PhD requirements.
It is possible that during your degree you decide to switch to a different concentration or advisor. Each requires its own form. To request a change in concentration, fill out the Graduate Student Petition form and indicate a change of curriculum. Be sure to discuss your plans with your current advisor before filling out the form, as both the outgoing and incoming advisor and program leader will need to sign both forms.
If you are enrolled in the Doctoral program, but decide to stop at the Master’s, you’ll need to fill out a Graduate Student Petition form and indicate a change of curriculum. Depending on the courses you have taken, you may need to submit a separate request to substitute a Master’s requirement that you have not completed. Wait to submit the second petition (for course substitutions) until after your degree cange petition has been approved.
PhD Students Only! Early Research Project
- PhD Only! Research Area Requirement Plan: Fill this out prior to starting your Early Research Project
- PhD Only! Fill out an Independent Study Contract (see registration forms above) if you want to earn credit for your ERP (note that these credits would not replace any for-credit requirements)
- PhD Only! Early Research Project Request: Fill this out once you are ready to schedule your ERP. Coordinate with Dissertation Advisor prior to submitting the form
Exam-Dissertation Sequence Forms
Registration for the EDS seminars and requests for examination all require a form. Refer to the list below on which forms are needed and when, but most of the actual form links can be found on the Graduate Student Forms page, including the Independent Study contract, for situations where this registration option is needed. Prior to beginning the EDS, please create your EDS Plan and Progress Report form.
|Create and maintain your EDS Progress Report, initially by sharing your intent to begin the process||EDS Progress Report||Complete these about a semester before beginning the EDS and maintain it throughout the EDS|
|Request to register for EPOL 586, 587, or 588||Online EdD EPOL Qualifying Exam Seminar Request Form|
Graduate Student Forms
|You must complete this form in order to register for the seminars|
|Request to submit an Exam (General, Special)||Qualifying Exam Request Form|
Fill in all required information, including:
Advisor: Input your advisor’s net ID (Dr. Cope’s and Dr. Kalantzis’ net IDs are billcope and kalantzi)
Date: Input the current date
Type: Take-Home Exam
|Submit this form after you receive approval from your advisor to proceed to examination.
Do not use the form that is on the Graduate Student Forms page
|Submit IRB Forms||IRB FAQ||You should receive approval prior to your preliminary exam|
|Request to enroll in EPOL 591||Online EdD EPOL Prelim/ 591 Request Form|
Graduate Student Forms
|You can request to register for the term after you complete your Methods.|
|Request to schedule your Preliminary Exam||Request for Appointment of Thesis/Dissertation Committee Form|
Scheduling Instructions for Preliminary or Final Exam
|After you have received advisor approval on your Chapters 1-3 and both your General and Special field exam results have been recorded.
About four weeks prior to your desired exam date.
Coordinate with Dissertation Advisor prior to submitting the form.
|Request to register for Thesis Credit/Seminar Form||Contact Dr. Francis||Choose any term after your preliminary exam, but prior to your final defense term|
|Thesis Defense Credit Form for EPOL 599||Contact Dr. Francis||You must register during the term when you plan to defend your thesis|
|Add yourself to current Term’s degree list via Student Self-Service||UIUC Self Service||Refer the Thesis Office’s Calendar for specific deadlines|
|Request to schedule your Final Exam||Choose Request for Appointment of Thesis/Dissertation Committee Form|
Scheduling Instructions for Preliminary or Final Exam
|After you have received advisor approval on your full dissertation
About four weeks prior to your desired exam date. Coordinate with Dissertation Advisor prior to submitting the form
|Complete the Thesis Survey prior to your deposit||Doctoral Exit Survey and the SED||We strongly encourage you to complete these surveys before submitting your thesis to the Graduate College. You can learn more about the surveys at that link.|
|Submit your final Thesis to the Department Reviewer||Review the Thesis Deposit Checklist|
|Create a thesis submission profile and upload your thesis for review by the Graduate College||Follow the instructions provided at http://www.grad.illinois.edu/thesis/submit|
|Submit your final Thesis to the Graduate College||Review the Thesis Deposit Checklist||Refer the Thesis Office’s Calendar for specific deadlines|
Enrollment Verification and Graduation Forms
You can apply for graduation using Self Service. If you miss the deadline to apply for graduation through Student Self-Service, you will need to fill out two forms. Complete and submit both the ‘Graduate Student Request Form (Petition)‘ to request a late add to the upcoming Degree List and the ‘Add/Remove from Degree List‘ form.
If you need a letter certifying your degree status, refer to these instructions from the registrar